America Recycles Day raises awareness within
Keep America Beautiful’s (KAB) America Recycles DaySM (ARD) is on Friday, Nov. 15, 2013, and its spirit is celebrated throughout November and December. What can we do as individuals and as a community to support the goals of ARD in increasing recycling and improving the environment?
Waste Management of North County and Coast Waste Management offers tips to residents on how to recycle often and how to recycle the right way. “We want to spread the word about recycling each and every day of the year, and America Recycles Day provides a window in which to do this by encouraging environmental stewardship,” said Lori Somers of Waste Management.
Here are three recycling tips:
• Take a moment to stop and think before you toss. Almost anything you throw away can be recycled in some way – paper, plastic, aluminum, food waste, glass, and even electronics. Please review acceptable items listed on our local website.
• Get creative. Think about new uses for cans, bottles and paper. These materials are perfect for art projects.
• Raise awareness. Be a recycling ambassador within your community and promote good recycling habits wherever you go. Tell your friends and family to recycle more items and to recycle them the right way.
“It’s important to raise awareness about the benefits of recycling,” stated Somers. “People who recycle are doing their part to save energy, conserve natural resources, and create green jobs.”
Did you know?
· Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a light bulb for 20 hours, a computer for three hours or a TV for two hours.
· Recycled aluminum can be turned into pie pans, house siding, small appliances or even lawn furniture.
· Every ton of plastic bottles recycled saves about 3.8 barrels of oil.
· If every household in the U.S. recycled just three more plastic bottles, we could divert more than 23 million pounds of plastic from our landfills and increase the amount of recycled plastic used to manufacture new bottles.
The message can be simple, Recycle Often. Recycle Right.SM You can share this message 365 days a year within your local community. You can also encourage residents to share the creative ways they recycle on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/WasteManagement or www.Facebook/AmericaRecyclesDay; Twitter: @WasteManagement, www.Twitter.com/kab_tweet or www.Twitter.com/recyclesday, or on Pinterest: www.Pinterest.com/KABpins. You can also find out more about what materials can become if they are recycled the right way; visit iwanttoberecycled.org and view the new ad campaign recently launched by KAB.
About Waste Management
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management environmental services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.
About America Recycles DayAmerica Recycles Day is a national program of Keep America Beautiful, and is the only nationally-recognized day and community-driven awareness event dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the U.S. Since its inception in 1997, communities across the country have participated in America Recycles Day on Nov. 15 to educate, promote environmental citizenship, and encourage action. To learn more, visit http://americarecyclesday.org.