.

2 Teens Shot, Killed in Oceanside's Libby Lake Park

Two others were injured and three teenagers narrowly escaped the shooting.

Last updated at 2:49 a.m. Thursday.

Two teenagers were fatally shot Wednesday night at a  Libby Lake Park hillside—the same location two teenagers were killed in 2011, according to Lt. Leonard Cosby.

Cosby said Wednesday’s shooting, which was reported at about 8:50 p.m., sent two other teenagers to a nearby hospital. Those teenagers are expected to survive, he added.

Witnesses described seeing Hispanic males wearing dark clothing fleeing the area in a gray or silver 2005 or 2006 Toyota Tacoma or Toyota Tundra extended cab-style pickup, Oceanside Police Lt. Aaron Doyle told City News Service.

A teenager who said he was a part of the group told Patch that he and three friends were with the four teens for about five minutes before the shooting.

Patch is withholding his name for safety reasons.

He said they heard about 13 shots, but ignored the sounds until they saw a commotion.

"We ran through the school here, just to see who it was and it was all of our friends," he said. "We were just chilling up on the hill [it was] pitch black and we didn't know what would happen."

He said one victim was in eighth grade and the second was a sophomore in high school.

The boy said he feels extremely sad and mad at the same time.

Cosby said Wednesday’s shooting was near a memorial that marked where two teenagers were killed at the same park in 2011.

Sandra Salgado, 14, and Fernando Solano, 16, were fatally shot the night of May 3, 2011. Police said the two were a couple.

"The things that happen in this park startle me to death," he said Wednesday. "It shouldn't be happening and I don't want it to be either a reflection of the people in this park or the city of Oceanside, because it's not that way."

Cosby—a 28-year veteran of the department— told reporters he has spent more than two decades working in the neighborhood.

This year, an Oceanside man was sentenced in the 2011 death of the teens. Tyrone Blackmon will serve four years in prison for being an accessory in the murder of the two teens.

An Oceanside man,  last year allegedly in retaliation for the 2011 murders. Three men——were charged with murder in Board’s case and are awaiting trial. 

Anyone with information about the shooting was asked to call Oceanside police Detective Mark LaVake at (760) 435-4872.

—City News Service contributed to this report.

Patch Newsletter & Alerts Facebook Twitter

isa March 15, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Children SHOULD BE ABLE to play in their neighborhood parks without fear of being killed DAY OR NIGHT! Don't judge them for the time of night they were "chillin", but the sadness that these neighborhoods still exist in this country! How can we ever heal if children are left to grow up in violence? Poverty is violent. Vote to end it by picking your allies carfully!!!!!
Daniel Woolfolk March 15, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Well said, thank you. Not sure if the clip conveys it, but the officer seemed really upset and disappointed. The boy held himself together really well, but I don't think he had time to process what had happened yet. I still can't believe this happened.
Shawna Boyer May 16, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Only 4 years in prison?!!? which means two.. Where is the justice in that?!?!? 8 years ago our realtor took us to those condos, we took one look and thought, get us out of here. I certainly hope teens stay far away from this park at night, it's happened twice it will happen again. It's so disappointing.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something