Before you start that turkey and gravy gorge-fest, consider checking out some of the local races happening Thanksgiving Day. Not only will you be doing something good for your health, you’ll also be helping to support some very worthy local causes. Here’s a handful of local races worth lacing up for before you chow down:
Father Joe’s 10th Anniversary Thanksgiving Day 5K
- When: 7:45 a.m.
- Where: San Diego Museum of Man at Balboa Park , 1350 El Prado,
- Registration Info: Thanksgivingrun.org, registration closes Nov. 21.
- Benefits: Father Joe’s Villages, which helps the homeless.
- Cost: $15 to $38 depending on age, event, and how close to the race you register. Free parking.
- Perks: Your race entry fee includes a continental breakfast, plus entrance to the beer garden. Strollers and leashed dogs are allowed on the course, and the event features live music.
6th Annual Oceanside Turkey Trot 5K Run/Walk
- When: 5-Mile Run starts at 7 a.m., and the 5K Race starts at 8 a.m.
- Where: Oceanside Civic Center, 330 N Coast Highway, Oceanside.
- Registration Info: Osideturkeytrot.com.
- Benefits: Five dollars from your registration fee will benefit Oceanside schools or local charities. When you register, you get to designate where your donation is used. This year's charities include the Virginia Ann Scheunumann Memorial Fund, which helps provide prosthetic products and services for women with cancer who are uninsured or in need—and the Move Your Feet Before You Eat Foundation, which funds programs for kids that teach healthy lifestyle habits.
- Cost: $20 to $40 depending on which race you sign up for, and when. Online registration ends Nov. 15.
- Perks: Race organizers offer a "combo" registration, so you can run the 5-mile route and the 5K route — plus there are a couple of runs just for kids (including a quarter-mile race for children ages 4 and younger). There's also a costume contest and the top three getups win a $50 gift card to 333 Pacific Steak & Seafood.
PureFitness United Run for the Hungry 5K Run/Walk 10K Run
- When: The 10K starts at 7:10 a.m., and the 5K starts at 8:15 a.m.
- Where: The Westfield Horton Plaza Shopping Center in Downtown San Diego, Broadway Circle.
- Registration Info: unitedrunforthehungry.org, registration closes Nov. 20.
- Benefits: Proceeds benefit the San Diego Food Bank, which distributes food for more than 10 million meals every year—and Foodmobile, which delivers more than 28,000 hot meals to the elderly and homebound every year. Canned good donations will also be accepted at the race.
- Cost: $17 to $38 depending on which race you run, and whether you run alone or as part of a team.
- Perks: The course is almost entirely flat, and takes runners on a scenic route through the Gaslamp District and East Village. Your dog is also welcome to join you on the course, and costumes are very much encouraged. There will also be free parking on race day at Parking Palace, 1350 Sixth Avenue (between A Street and Ash Street).
2nd Annual USATF Sanctioned 5K/10K Trail "Thank You" Run/Walk in 4S Ranch
- When: the 5K starts at 7:30 a.m. and the 10K starts at 7:45 a.m.
- Where: 4S Ranch Community Park, 16118D 4S Ranch Parkway, San Diego.
- Registration Info: Thankyourun.org, registration closes Nov. 16.
- Benefits: Proceeds of this event will be shared between two non-profits: the 4S Ranch-Del Sur Community Foundation, which supports groups dedicated to improving the lives of residents—and Helen’s Closet, which provides comfort equipment to terminally ill patients suffering from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Cost: $40 to $45 depending on which race you enter.
- Perks: The majority of this course is on a dirt trail, which some runners prefer over pavement—and the surrounding nature provides a beautiful backdrop. This race also features a special course just for kids ages 8 and younger.